Tuesday, April 19, 2011


In March, I attended my first ever Sock Camp.  It was amazing and I loved every second of it.  There were times where I didn’t like a particular food or thought something was really weird/odd, but the truth is that I wouldn’t change any of it.  I was able to meet so many wonderful people.  I flew into Seattle where I met up with Hizknits’s mom and we were picked up by a super friendly, calm, and caring knitter from Canada.  The weirdest thing that I’ve taken from camp isn’t leaving little hats or chickens around, but hooping…hula hooping.  After a bizarre and embarrassing afternoon, the amazing JC Briar told me to try her hula hoop.  I hooped. I couldn’t believe it, but I did.  Plus, I have two witnesses.  It’s a fact.

I came home really wanting to make my own hoop.  JC made it sound so easy.  I went off to our local hardware store with my beloved, who was trying really hard not to tell me I had gone bonkers.  He really believes in that whole exercise thing so anything that will get me off of my knitting chair and sweating is a good thing to him.  Sadly, we couldn’t find ¾” or 1” tubing….we did find 5/8” and thought it should be dandy.  It was quite dandy, until I filled it with some water and made a lovely little fountain out of tubing in the living room. Yep, I did continue to pour water for a second or two after seeing it fly out of the other end.

I made a hoop, but it was a little leaky and little woobly for it to be any good.  A week of inactivity passed, but I convinced beloved to take me to the sports store. I would try to hoop in the store. I found a weighted exercise hoop, I hooped. Then I followed him around as he looked at hiking things and exercise equipment, hooping for a bit in each spot.  It felt like forever, but was only a few minutes.

It’s day four of hooping. Day 1 consisted of 5-10 minutes of trying to pelvic thrust like a pro.  Day 2 was good with some steps and consistent hooping for 30 minutes.  Day 3…well I procrastinated a bit and didn’t hoop until bed time.  I was able to hoop and floss the top teeth together.  The same cannot be said for the bottom teeth. Their tricky jerks and the hoop wouldn’t stay up. Day 4 will involve some turning, some hoop dropping, some Torchwood to keep me steady, and hopefully another 30+ minutes of hooping.

In other news, some VERY exciting things are beginning to happen.  I cannot believe they are happening to me, but they are.  Keep a watch out because I am so very amazed and excited to have these opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment